Title IX and FERPA expert Melissa Carleton will walk you through a hypothetical case and the sticky situations involving sharing information between parties, advisors, witnesses, and institution employees outside the Title IX process. You will also learn about the interplay between FERPA’s protections and Freedom of Information Act requests under state public records laws.
What You'll Learn
- What records created by a Title IX team are protected by confidentiality laws?
- When can you share information with individuals involved in the process?
- When can you share information about sexual misconduct with school officials?
- What rights do advisors and parents have to access information?
- Can students review their case files once the Title IX process is over?
- If a respondent is disciplined and wants to transfer, what can you share with their new institution about their case?